The summit was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India on 7th July 2022. The summit saw nine theme-based sessions and two sessions on sharing success stories and best practices of NEP 2020 implementation. As many as 300 Vice-chancellors and Directors of various universities and HEIs have actively participated in the summit. The outcome-focused on flexibility in various dimensions. Its main highlights are as follows;
- There must be greater flexibility in education for students, opportunities for teachers to develop new courses and innovate
- Stakeholders to build a robust ecosystem for more industry collaborations, academicians
- Develop new courses and innovate, and for stakeholders to build a robust ecosystem for more industry collaborations in order to make India a global study destination
- This Shiksha Samagam is a step towards establishing India as a knowledge-based superpower
- Strongly advocated making universities multidisciplinary and for to provide space to industries on campus to establish research and development centres.
- Encouraging universities to establish start-up companies and also establish more collaboration with industries to make the education imparted in universities more application and practical experience-based . Such efforts would make our students more employable since their skills and knowledge base would be more relevant to emerging job opportunities.
- The key takeaways from the summit were to promote land to lab and lab to land, which means there should be more consultations between educational institutions and stakeholders, and that there is a great deal of learning which can happen from each other
- The educational system should help the students of the country to become job creators and not job seekers.
Dharmendra Pradhan, Education Minister of the Government of India in his concluding remark, said NEP 2020 provides a path to decolonisation. University Grants Commission Chairman, Prof Jagadish has said that the summit provided an opportunity to work out solutions to implement NEP 2020.