It is a digital platform that will bring Railways and Roadways(Bharatmala), Shipping (Sagarmala ), MEITY, civil aviation (UDAN scheme), inland waterways, economic zones such as pharmaceutical clusters, textile clusters,defence corridors, industrial corridors, electronic parks, fishing clusters, and Agri zones, ISRO imagery developed by BiSAG-N, community information regarding the upcoming connectivity projects and many more. The Gati Shakti was kick-started in October 2021 by the Prime Minister, as part of the Platinum jubilee celebrations (75 years) of Independence (Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav). It is an Rs.100 lakh-crore project for developing holistic infrastructure under the National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP) for 2020-25. The Gati Shakti scheme is based on six pillars - comprehensiveness, prioritization, optimization, synchronization, analysis, and dynamics. It is to generate multiple employment opportunities cut down on logistics costs, improve supply chains and make local goods globally competitive.
The center has realized the paramount importance of the infrastructure needed for the splendid growth of the country. In an endeavor to take care of the railway as a major aspect, the central government established a Railway University in Vadodara, Gujarat, as deemed to be university in 2018. This institute is for capacity building of the sector under the Ministry of Education (MoE). National Rail & Transportation Institute(NRTI), was established by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018. It is India’s first Deemed be a university focused on transport-related education, multidisciplinary research, and training. NRTI came into existence under the de Novo category and was fully funded by the Government of India. It is specifically established to create a resource pool of best-in-class professionals for the railway and transportation sector.
As transportation involves railway, road, air, and the entire transport system, the government felt to convert NRTI into a central university. Railway University, therefore, was granted central status by the Union Cabinet on 13th July 2022. The varsity was renamed Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya an autonomous university.
Mr. Dharmendra Pradhan, Education Minister, union government introduced the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill in the Lok Sabha on Monday, 1st August 2022. It aims at seeking to expand the scope of the University from beyond the railways to cover the entire transport sector to support the ambitious growth and modernization in the field. The Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 seeks to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009, to provide for the establishment of Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya as a body corporate under the said Act.
This bill accorded the status of a central university with an autonomous position. a university which became offers a BSc in transportation technology, BBA in transportation management courses, and MSc in railway system engineering and integration. Further Ph.D. programs transportation is also offered for capacity building of the talented human resources. The objectives of the university are as follows:
- To establish Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya which will address the need for talent in the strategically important and expanding transportation sector
- To meet the demand for the trained talent of human resources to fuel the growth and expansion of the sector.
- To reverse brain drain and create critical capability and capacity by developing master`s and doctoral degrees in transportation,
- To go a long way in making the nation self-reliant in the transportation sector through its programs for skilling and digitizing India.
- To critically help to carry out the needed research and development by creating innovative technologies
- To encourage local manufacturing and substitute the imports of expensive technology, equipment and
- To take additional measures for providing high-quality teaching, research, and skill development in diverse disciplines related to transportation, technology, and management including establishing centers in India and abroad.
The Gati shakti university has to rise to the expectations of the central government in so far as the development of the infrastructure. The country will not register the requisite growth of GDP unless state-of-the-art infrastructure is put in place. For this purpose knowledge and skill shall be imparted to the people interested in transportation by offering UG/PG and research programs in transportation of various kinds.