The ranking will light upon the list of top universities, colleges and other educational institutions across the country NIRF Ranking 2022. The institutions concerned can get the status on the official website nirfindia.org.(nirfindia.org), immediately after the announcement of the ranking virtually by the Education Minister at 11 am.
On 15th July 2022, Hon’ble Education Minister, Shri @dpradhanbjp will release #IndiaRankings2022 under #NIRF, virtually. The annual exercise outlines a methodology to rank Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s) across India in various categories and subject domains.
“On 15th July 2022, Hon’ble Education Minister, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan will release the India rankings 2022, virtually. The annual exercise outlines a methodology to rank Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s) across India in various categories and subject domains. Institutions are being ranked under 11 different categories viz overall, university, colleges, engineering, management, pharmacy, law, medical, architecture, dental and research depending on their areas of operation. The ranking is broadly based on 5 major parameters including- Teaching, Learning and Resources, Research and Professional Practice, Graduation Outcomes, Outreach and Inclusivity and Peer Perception.
Several parameters including resources, research, and stakeholder perception are used to rank the institutions. All the parameters are assigned certain weightages and the weightages vary depending upon the type of institution. The sum totals of the weightages decide the final marks and are followed by the rank. In 2021 IIT-Madras was ranked the top institute in the overall educational institute category and also the top engineering institute.
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)
There are 5 ranking parameters that the NIRF rely on for their ranking. They are:
- Teaching, Learning & Resources,
- Research and Professional Practice,
- Graduation Outcomes,
- Outreach and Inclusivity,
Assessment of factors under various parameters determining a NIRF rank of an institution.
- Teaching, Learning & Resources
- Student Strength including Doctoral Students
- Faculty-student ratio with emphasis on permanent faculty (FSR)
- Combined metric for Faculty with PhD (or equivalent) and Experience (FQE)
- Total Budget and Its Utilisation: (CBTU)
- Student Strength including Doctoral Students (20 marks)
2. Research and Professional Practice:
- Combined metric for Publications (PU)
- Combined metric for Quality of Publications (QP)
- IPR and Patents: Filed, Published, Granted and Licensed (IPR)
- Footprint of Projects and Professional Practice And Executive Development Programs (FPPP):
- Graduation Outcomes
- Combined % for Placement, Higher Studies, and Entrepreneurship (GPHE)
- Metric for University Examinations: GUE
- Median Salary
- Metric for Graduating Students Admitted Into Top Universities (GTOP)
- Metric for Number of Ph.D. Students Graduated GPHD
- Outreach and Inclusivity
- Per cent Students from other states/countries (Region Diversity RD)
- Percentage of Women (WF) + (WS) + (WA)
- Economically and Socially Challenged Students (ESCS)
- Facilities for Physically Challenged Students (PCS)
- Peer Perception: Employers and Research Investors (PREMP)
- Peer Perception: Academics (PRACD)
- Public Perception (PRPUB)
- Competitiveness (PRCMP)
Each factor under the specific parameter is assigned a definite mark. Assigned marks would be taken into consideration to find out the total mark, which decides the ranking of an institution under NIRF. In 2021, NIRF ranking IIT-Madras was ranked the top institute in the overall educational institutes’ category and also the top engineering institute. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi has been ranked the top medical college in the nation. The release saw Jamia Hamdard, Panjab University and BITS Pilani receiving the top three positions in the pharmacy colleges’ category.
Advantages of NIRF ranking:
- NIRF clears the confusion on which college is better as people don’t have to rely on traditional metrics to judge a college. Traditional metrics can be very misleading while the NIRF report is clear.
- Every year, the NIRF report for colleges is made public with detailed information about the metrics used to rank colleges, which anyone can check Transparency the bias.
- NIRF-ranked colleges are not ranked equally. This means that metrics are set definitely for different colleges based on their specialization. This means that an engineering college is not ranked the same way as a commerce college.
- The NIRF report is very methodical. This means that when you judge a college by its NIRF ranking, you can be sure that every aspect of the college is put under the scanner. Therefore there is no scope for an unknown variable that you might become a victim of.
- India has one of the largest and most diversified education systems in the world. In order to improve the quality and public accountability of the institution, various accreditation systems are also prevailing. In addition to that NIRF ranking was rolled out to implement a ranking system for the higher education system.
- Students consider a lot of aspects of an institution before applying for admission. In recent years NIRF has also evolved to be a key parameter in making informed decisions in selecting their choice institution. As in the NIRF ranking procedure, all aspects of an institution are considered, and the ranking proves to be an embankment of the institution`s excellence.
- The Government of India has introduced an Institution of Eminence ( IoE) scheme in which the institution will be given autonomy to execute its activities both administratively and academically. They are allowed to collaborate with foreign higher education institutions without any further government approvals. Also, public institutions are granted up to funding of Rs 1,000 crores.
- Most of the time Indian institutions fail to grab any rank in the global ranking process, with the NIRF ranking procedure, the institution`s standard and quality are improved. This practice helps in leveraging the performance of the institution for international ranking aspects and results in providing more career opportunities for students.
- Ranking helps the institutions to understand their weak areas, which helps in implementing corrective measures for further improvements in weak areas.